Former PDC World Championship finalist Andy Hamilton will meet reigning World Masters champion Adam Smith-Neale in the first round of the BDO World Trophy later this month.
The draw for the last 32 of the men’s event, which takes place at the King Georges Hall, in Blackburn, between August 30 and September 1, was released late last night.
Hamilton, the 2012 PDC World Championship runner-up, and Smith-Neale, are among several debutants in this year’s World Trophy, which has produced five different winners in its five stagings so far.
A sixth different champion is highly likely to be crowned this year, with last year’s winner Glen Durrant, and 2014 champion James Wilson, both now with the PDC, while Geert de Vos (2015), Darryl Fitton (2016) and Peter Machin (2017) would have to enter the qualifier to make the field.
Richard Veenstra is the top seed in the men’s draw and will begin his campaign against Australia’s Justin Thompson, while in the bottom half, Jim Williams, the second seed, takes on the Asian Qualifier or a player on stand by.
Third seed Wesley Harms has been paired with Paul Hogan, former world champion Scott Mitchell will take on a qualifier, and Germany’s Michael Unterbuchner faces Roger Janssen, from Belgium.
Sixth seed Dave Parletti faces a tricky opener against the in-form Martijn Kleermaker, while two-time world champion, and this year’s Lakeside runner-up, Scott Waites plays Daniel Day.
BDO World Trophy Men’s first round draw
(1) Richard Veenstra v Justin Thompson
(16) Kyle McKinstry v Nick Kenny
(9) Wayne Warren v Qualifier 4
(8) Scott Waites v Daniel Day
(5) Michael Unterbuchner v Roger Janssen
(12) Mario Vandenbogaerde v Brian Lokken
(13) Ross Montgomery v Sebastian Steyer
(4) Scott Mitchell v Qualifier 2
(3) Wesley Harms v Paul Hogan
(14) Andy Hamilton v Adam Smith-Neale
(11) Chris Landman v Mark McGrath
(6) Dave Parletti v Martijn Kleermaker
(7) Gary Robson v Joe Chaney
(10) Willem Mandigers v Qualifier 3
(15) Derk Telnekes v Qualifier 1
(2) Jim Williams v Asian Qualifier or Stand By